The Australian Synchrotron provides funding support for successful beamtime applicants in the form of travel funding and/or onsite accommodation. Funds granted are to be used solely to cover the majority of the cost to travel to the AS facility. Travel expenses supported include flights and Melbourne-based ground transport costs only.
To be eligible for funding, users must meet the following criteria.
- Users are travelling from
- Interstate (Australia)
- New Zealand
- Country Victoria (Eligible for Accommodation only)
- Users have been awarded beamtime at the facility based on one of the following proposal types
- MX Rapid Access
- MX CAP (please proceed to the MX beamtime page for instructions)
You must create & begin your Experimental Authorisation prior to submitting your Travel Funding Application.
How to apply
New Zealand researchers, please proceed to the New Zealand Synchrotron Group website.
Country Victorian researchers can apply for accommodation only, please proceed to the User Accommodation page.
As at 01 September 2016, International researchers will no longer be eligible for complimentary accommodation. To view a list of current rates at the guesthouse, please proceed to the User Accommodation page.
Local researchers are not eligible for AS funded travel or accommodation
Interstate researchers can apply for travel funding by submitting a Travel Funding Application for Interstate User Groups form.
Tips for a successful funding application
- The completed form must be submitted via email to the User Office a recommended minimum of 4 weeks prior to travel
- Funding cannot be split amongst different institutions; only one application can be approved per beamtime allocation; funding will be reimbursed to the applicant's organisation only
- The applicant must be
- one individual only
- either on the proposal or attending the beamtime
- employed by an interstate-based organisation
- The form must be signed by the appropriate parties prior to submission to the User Office
- Persons included on the application must reside interstate and not exceed three in total
- If any persons are travelling interstate by car or train, please indicate this on the application for each person
- Accommodation should not exceed funded limits, please refer to the User Accommodation page for further details
Once the application is approved, you will be issued with a funding approval letter outlining the total maximum funding.
Users will need to book their own travel and preference must be shown for the most economical means of transport. We ask users to organise travel in advance to qualify for cheaper fares and, where possible, for users to travel together.
The AS travel funding is designed to cover the majority of flight costs and Melbourne-based ground transportation costs only. Funding is calculated based on the amounts in the funding table below and capped at a maximum of three people per proposal.
All allowances are in Australian dollars and are now quoted inclusive of Australian GST.
||Per Person||Departure City
|Cairns / Townsville||$700||Palmerston North||$900|
|Ground transport (in Melbourne only)||$220 per scheduled experiment|
(Prices effective for travel from 1 September 2015)
Accommodation for Users
All Users attending beamtime, please go to the User Accommodation page for further information.
If your stay is not relating to beamtime, please go to the Australian Synchrotron Guesthouse page.
Invoicing and Acquittals
Please click here for information regarding Invoice and Acquittal processes.